Monday, June 18, 2007

Blogging can be time consuming

I have been working on this site for a few weeks now, and it is coming along slowly but better than I had envisioned.
We at the Citizen decided to get into blogging because it is another way to communicate with our readers - allowing us to update the public on breaking news or big events that occur in between our two print editions (Wednesday and Friday.)
It also allows us to put more of our print content online so more Internet-savvy readers can locate it and find stories.
Our current Web site -www.egcitizen.com - is very archaic and close to being shut down. We have a new Web site that is being prepared for unveiling soon. I expect this to occur within the next four-six weeks. When that new Web site is up and running, we will continue to maintain this blog.
Two of the biggest difficulties I've encountered so far with blogging - aside from my base knowledge of computers - are time and access to the Internet.
I regularly work 50 hours a week - that was before the blog. Now, with the instantaneous nature of Internet news, I am trying to keep up on the blog by putting pertinent news stories on the site as much as possible. (Read seven days a week.)
It's not always easy. My main focus and duties are as editor of the print edition of the Citizen. I must focus on each and every task each day to make sure the newspaper runs smoothly. I also answer phones when needed, work with our staff writers, write stories on my own, and deal with each and every complaint or concern with the Citizen.
Now, after adding on blogging to the list of duties, I have found myself working more hours merely trying to keep the blog timely and relevant. What that means is it is eating away at more of my free time outside of work.
The blog is difficult to do with the time limitations, but when you add in my second problem - no Internet access - it makes it even harder to maintain the site on a regular basis.
I may be one of the last people in the U.S. that does NOT have Internet access at home. Not only did I never own a computer until February, 2007, I have never had Internet access in my home.
One issue is cost. I simply cannot afford to have Internet access in my home. Even if I could afford it, I doubt I would get it because there are other things I need to spend money on - like bills and trying to save for the day I retire when I am 90.
A second problem is that my girlfriend does not even want Internet access in our home. I tend to agree. The Internet is nice, but it has a habit of turning people into mouse-potatoes: people who sit online all day and surf the net for "entertainment."
The third issue with the Internet is where can I access it? For me, it means driving to Davis from Woodland to access a free Internet cafe. However, free is a bit misleading. I have to pay for gas - 25 miles round-trip - and the coffee shop with Internet access demands users buy something - a basic coffee is $2. Because I have to drive to Davis, it takes at minimum two hours to do even the most basic blog update. That's two hours out of my weekend and time away from my hobbies and friends and most importantly, my significant other.
I often wonder why our society is obsessed with having news available on an instantaneous basis. It seems as if more and more people in our society cannot detach themselves from the world around them for even a few hours.
We arm ourselves with cell phones, BlackBerry devices, and all sorts of other technological gadgets for what? To be able to be reached anywhere at anytime? Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question for yourself.
I just had my cell phone turned off. I really didn't like it. It was $30 a month out of my pocket and nothing but a hassle. I highly doubt that Internet access will find a home in our house - too much money and too much time inside away from life outside with friends and family.
The world of journalism is changing, with all these tech gadgets and gizmos speeding up what we do and making news a more than 24-hour-a-day business. Whether that is better than the old days or worse, only time will tell.
In the meantime, we will do our best to keep you updated on news and happenings in the best manner we can.

No comments: