Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter is this generation's Hobbit

I have only one request - don't tell me the ending of the new Harry Potter book.
I know, you Potter fans have probably heard a lot of that request. But, I am in a bit different situaton: I am only on chapter four of the very first Potter tome.
In other words, you reveal the ending and you're ruining the next six books for me!
It's funny how much Harry Potter has fascinated nearly all segments of society - here in the United States and abroad. Harry reaches all ages, all economic classes, and both men and women.
Unlike most of the current generation of youth, I have not read the Harry Potter books....I did see one movie! I am only beginning the first book of the Potter series and I have to admit, it's not too bad. I am turning the pages, slowly, but I am turning them. I began reading the book two weeks ago and have progressed four chapters. Hagrid is rescuing Harry from his aunt and uncle's torment. (Hope I got that right, Potter fans).
The popularity of the Harry Potter series reminds me of my time in junior high school, the fabulous early 1980s, when our class was assigned to read "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien. I plowed through it - as did many of my classmates.
Afterall, my elementary school days had been filled with the reading of tomes about the Battle of the Bulge, the Civil War, the 82nd (All-American) and 101st (Screaming Eagles) Airborne Divisions; the D-Day invasion; Erwin Rommel and the African tank battles between him and Monty; and also the Arnhem airborne operation.
So, delving into a fantasy world of Dwarves, Hobbits, Elves, Goblins, Orcs, and dozens of other fantasmic creatures was a welcome respite from the real-life stories of military engagements.
I loved "The Hobbit" and that Christmas, my grandmother bought me the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in a boxed set of paperbacks. Again, I read them as fast as possible and then re-read all four novels many times over. By the time I'd had my fill of Hobbits and dragons and the like, I had read "The Hobbit" about nine times and the three books of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy a total of seven times each.
My friends and others in school during those years also became fascinated with the Tolkien tales. Instead of dressing up as the characters in the novels, most of us began playing Dungeons and Dragons to recreate the fastasies of the Hobbit world.
I sense from our college intern - Sarah Kyo - and our staff photographer - Rebecca Maston (Both HUGE Potter fans) - that they have the same connection with Harry that we did with Bilbo and Frodo and Sam.
Although this is supposed to be the final Potter book, you never can say never. Maybe Harry will return for one more battle? Don't despair, Potter fans, you can alway read the books again, and again, and again. They will get better every time.

Jeff Forward is the editor of the Elk Grove Citizen. He welcomes all comments and criticisms - just not the ending or details fo the next six Harry Potter books.

No comments: