Monday, July 2, 2007

Letter to the Editor of the Week

Dear Editor:

As I visit my daughter who lives in the older section of Elk Grove I am bewildered by some the things I see in your city.
First, Elk Grove has a lot of history and Old Town should be preserved. The city fathers saw fit to take Elk Grove Boulevard, which is a very busy road and narrow it to one lane in each direction. It appears that this makes Old Town more congested. Parking is somewhat awkward. As Elk Grove Boulevard going out toward Bradshaw Road is in terrible condition, it seems the money to narrow a main street could have been used more wisely to improve conditions of the road all the way through town.
Second, Elk Grove city fathers apparently approved the plans to construct a building on the southeast corner of Elk Grove-Florin Road and Elk Grove Boulevard. I have been told it was to be a library but the second floor is not sturdy enough to hold the weight of the books. Is this correct? If this is correct, shame on your planning commission that approved the plans.
My last comment, is why was it allowed to be placed so close to the intersection and not set back a distance?
As a frequent visitor in your growing city, I have been curious for some time and thought I would write and ask.

Mel Mehlhaff
Winston, Ore.

This is one of several letters to the editor that will be published in the Wednesday, July 4 edition of the Citizen.

No comments: