Saturday, July 26, 2008

Congrats to the Mayor....he is the pancake champion...

Well, now that I've expelled the pancakes as best possible from my stomach, I can make a quick blog entry to let all of Elk Grove know that Mayor Gary Davis is your Pancake Eating Champion!!

That's right, the mayor got off to a hot start and held on for a one-pancake victory in the contest to eat as many as possible in 10 minutes.

In the end, Davis had eaten 15 pancakes and I had only managed 14. Darn!

Pancake eating is much tougher than it looks. They are so dry and fluffy, you must eat them with water...which then makes the consistency a bit odd, and well, disgusting!

When we got down to 2 minutes, I had an urge to vomit...but, I held it in. (I can't say the same for after the contest!!)

We raised a little bit of money for charity and had a good time.

The event was in conjunction with the city's Flapjack Forum, and it was well attended for an early start on a weekend. City Council candidates Mike Leary, Steve Detrick, and Sophia Scherman were in attendance for the contest. Cosumnes CSD candidate Jimmie Johnson was also present.

I want to pass on a special thanks to our awesome timer & coordinator, Heather Ross from the city of Elk Grove. Also, I cannot forget Cody Tubbs, the man behind the pancake griddle cooking up a storm. (Inside word is he made my pancakes denser than Gary's)

And, of course, thanks to the mayor for accepting a fun challenge. I think it's great that the city can have a mayor who wants to have fun and who is willing to do crazy things like, well....have a pancake eating contest.

Next year a new challenger will step forward to take on Davis. Yep, the Citizen's own Cameron Macdonald - the man who's eaten at every restaurant in Elk Grove - will challenge Davis. You better start preparing now, Mayor!

JF

No comments: