Wednesday, August 6, 2008

An experiment in newspaper blogging...

Today I am going experiment and will be live blogging the production of the Friday edition of the Elk Grove Citizen. It's an idea I thought of to showcase how the newspaper is produced each week and give readers a peak inside the operation.
Our production days are Monday and Wednesday for the Wednesday and Friday newspapers and our goal is to have the newspaper completed by 6 p.m. each production day. The newspaper is proof-read on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and printed immediately after corrections are made. (Mary Lewis, our trusted proof-reader, fixes all).
Today, I will do my best to post regularly, but remember, I am working, too.
As the day progresses, reporters and photographers will be working on various projects; I will read and edit articles and columns submitted by our staff. We will choose photographs and design the layout of each page. I also have to transmit these documents to our printing facility in Galt. Included are not only newspaper duties, but tasks such as answering the telephone and helping any customer who may come into the office.
Hope you enjoy.
JF

No comments: