Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Just attended the GSREHA meeting....

Shirley Peters of the Greater Sheldon Road Estates Homeowners Association invited me to their meeting Tuesday night, and I took her up on the offer.
Elk Grove City Council Candidates Mike Leary and Katherine Maestas spoke to the group - more than a dozen in attendance - and answered questions.
It was a nice event and I can say one thing, those folks are passionate about their community as well as knowledgeable about everything going on which will impact that community they love and cherish - know as "ag res."
We'll have a full story in an upcoming edition of the Citizen, but here are some quotes.
Mike Leary - the incumbent in District 3 - was very approachable and casual - dressed in faded blue jeans; a nice button down shirt and tie.
"I think I've provided a lot of good things to the community," Leary told the group. "I've had a good ride and I think I have the knowledge that it takes. We've done just a fantastic job creating this city as it is today."
Leary has repeatedly lauded the city council for making road improvements in Elk Grove - and he made sure to emphasize the Grant Line Road and Sheldon Road interchange projects as successes.
"Both of those interchanges happened because we moved forward without any federal funding," Leary said.
Leary also took aim at the city's developmental and business fee structure, saying it's, "Quite frankly, out of control."
When some in the audience questioned the money Leary has received in campaign donations from developers and out-of-town interests, Leary had a simple response.
"I don't really care who supports my campaign," he said. "I'm going to do what's right for the community."
The GSREHA group also heard from District 5 Challenger Katherine Maestas, who appeared very well dressed and professional looking.
Maestas talked a lot about her personal life, and how that has shaped her for a life of public service.
"I have a heightened feeling of, 'I need to make a difference,'" she said. "I am here to serve, I want to make a difference."
Maestas touted her years of planning experience with the County of Sacramento and listened to the pleas to save the rural way of life found in Sheldon.
Maestas said she is against the city's proposed Sphere of Influence expansion proposal.
"To expand here," she said, pointing at a map of the affected areas, "would be a huge detriment to our community. Once you pave it over and put in stop lights everywhere, you are never going to get it back."
Some asked about the proposed highway linking El Dorado and Interstate-5, which could run smack down the middle of Sheldon.
Maestas said she is "very cautious" about the proposal.
"That's not what we need," she said. "My gut feeling right now is, it's now good. In my opinion, it's not a good idea."
Maestas also took a swipe at the growing gang problem in Elk Grove, telling the group when she heard a gang presentation at her child's school, that it "scared me to death."
Maestas, who has much less money in her campaign war chest than incumbent Sophia Scherman, said the current political climate in the city is not community-minded.
"It's pretty sad that to be a viable candidate in this city, you need to raise more than $100,000," she said.
For more information on the meeting, check out an upcoming edition of the Citizen.

Jeff Forward
Editor

No comments: